Particularly effective for Sun Damage, Wrinkles, Dry Skin, and Tired Skin.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (natural SPF 4)
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- 2 Tablespoons Zinc Oxide (This is a non-nano version that won’t be absorbed into the skin. Be careful not to inhale the powder).
- up to 1 teaspoon Red Raspberry Seed Oil
- up to 1 teaspoon Carrot Seed Oil
- up to 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- 2 tablespoons Shea Butter (natural SPF 4-5)
- Combine ingredients except zinc oxide in a pint sized or larger glass jar.
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and place over medium heat.
- Put a lid on the jar loosely and place in the pan with the water.
- As the water heats, the ingredients in the jar will start to melt. Shake or stir occasionally to incorporate.
- When all ingredients are completely melted, add the zinc oxide, stir in well and pour into whatever jar or tin you will use for storage.
- Small mason jars (pint size) are great for this. It will not pump well in a lotion pump!
- Stir a few times as it cools to make sure zinc oxide is incorporated.
- Use as you would regular sunscreen. Best if used within six months.
Red Raspberry Seed Oil is loaded with Alpha and Gamma tocopherols (Vitamin E) which are potent antioxidants which mop up cell damage and neutralize free radicals. Red Raspberry Seed Oil offers strong UV protection, it has an SPF of 28-50 against UVB rays (cause sunburn) and 6.75-7.5 against UVA rays (cause ageing). It is packed with Cartenoids (Vitamin A) and Phytosterols both of which are strong antioxidants. It is also rich in Linoleic acid content, which regenerates cells and is anti-inflammatory.
Zinc Oxide is a physical sunscreen which blocks or scatters sun’s UV rays so they do not penetrate the skin. It also absorbs the UV rays thus making it a complete natural sunscreen solution. Zinc Oxide is a broad spectrum sunscreen in that it protects from both UVB and UVA rays. Unlike other chemical sunscreens, Zinc Oxide is completely safe, even for babies (recommended by the FDA).
Olive oil has abundant reserves of vitamin E, which helps it improve skin health by treating acne, inflammation and even serious ailments like eczema and psoriasis. It is also very nourishing and moisturising by keeping the skin hydrated. Olive oil is an effective anti-ageing solution as well, in that it is packed with antioxidants and hydrating squalene and is therefore effective against free radicals and photo aging.
Coconut oil increases the antioxidant activity in the body and increases skin’s self healing ability, thereby being very potent for sensitive skin. Coconut oil is antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial thereby making it great for treatment of atopic dermatitis. Coconut oil is highly moisturizing although people with adult acne should use it with caution because of its comedogenic attributes.
Shea butter is rich in vitamins A, F and E. It provides essential fatty acids (oleic, stearic, linolenic and palmitic acids) which enable collagen production. In addition to offering UV protection (~SPF 6) it is incredibly nourishing and moisturising for the skin. Due to the presence of cinnamic acid, Shea butter is very potent against skin inflammations and is recommended for acne prone skin.
Beeswax acts as a surfactant ,when blended with other ingredients, it forms a protective barrier on the surface of the skin and helps protect against environmental damage. Beeswax is antibacterial helping keep the skin clean and free from potential infections. It is also a humectant, which means it attracts water and helps keep the skin hydrated.
Carrot Seed Oil has high levels of Cartenoids (Vitamin A) which are strong antioxidants and reduce free radicals damage to the skin. It also has a decent SPF value which makes it a good ingredient for any natural sunscreen. Carrot Seed Oil tightens and rejuvenates the skin, also it stimulates the sebaceous glands thus benefiting dry skin.
Vitamin E oil boosts the production of collagen, which is chiefly responsible for maintaining skin’s firmness and elasticity. It therefore reduces the formation of fine lines and wrinkles which are the key signs of ageing. Vitamin E oil has high levels of antioxidants which fight free radicals and thereby helps in healing sunburns and reducing hyper pigmentation in the form of sun spots. Vitamin E oil is a strong emollient which enables it to easily unclog pores and remove impurities from the skin.