Laugh lines or Smile lines are creases that form at the side of the mouth, nasolabial folds and the outer corners of our eyes. They become more pronounced when we laugh or smile. They are also exacerbated by overexposure to the sun, stress, environmental pollutants and genetics.
The simplest way to get rid of them is to stop smiling and laughing all together….
But for a set of more realistic and feasible solutions read on below.
Get a skincare regimen customized just for you, take the skin quiz here
For this article what we have done is arrived at a holistic set of natural remedies which you can easily use in the comforts of your home. We begin with a couple of facial exercises that you should do regularly followed by a few natural homemade beauty recipes which replenish and nurture your skin.
Refer to this video by Dr. Janine Bowring, ND where she shares key yoga facial exercises to practice to help reduce mouth wrinkles and laugh lines.
- You can start with the fairly simple yet incredibly effective “puffer fish” which is also a favourite of Dr. Bowring
- The second exercise requires you to use your fingers as resistance and try smiling
- In the video, Dr. Bowring also shows a particular point on the large intestine meridian which helps in reducing nasolabial folds or laugh lines
- You get to learn how to boost the collagen production by boosting the “chi” or the energy in your face using facial acupressure points
Homemade Beauty Recipes
- Egg white – Coconut Oil Mask: Egg whites are incredibly effective at fighting wrinkles, by boosting skin elasticity and fighting fine lines and sagging skin. Coconut oil is one of the most potent skin nourishing and moisturizing oils. It is a natural antioxidant and helps in rebuilding skin tissue. Here’s what you do – mix 2 egg whites with half a cup of coconut oil, apply this mixture directly to the visible lines and around the corners of the mouth. Let it dry for 10 minutes and then wash this off with cold water. Use this mask thrice a week for 5 weeks for visible improvements.
- Besan Turmeric Scrub: This recipe(which you can find here, or buy the made product from here) leverages age old Ayurvedic and Unani wisdom to bring together ingredients like Besan, Indian White Sandalwood and Milk which, in addition to having skin brightening qualities, help take the fight against wrinkles and sagging skin. Apply this scrub and leave it to dry for 10-15 minutes and then scrub it off with cold water. Use this mask thrice weekly for 5 weeks.
- Almond anti-aging moisturizer: Use the almond anti-aging moisturizer daily in place of your regular moisturizer for visible improvements in any kind of age related wrinkles or fine lines on your face. You can find the recipe here. It requires a little bit of effort to prepare but is well worth it given how efficacious it is and once made it lasts for 3 months.
- Green tea night cream: The green tea night cream recipe(which you can find here) is power packed with ingredients rich in antioxidants and polyphenols which slow down the aging process and help improve skin nourishment and cellular turnover. Apply the cream at night 3-4 times a week. Ensure that you give the cream 15 minutes and then get into the bed.
Please do share your experience with this regimen in the comments below. Also, for beauty recipes more tailored to your skin type take our Skin Quiz and get a bespoke homemade beauty regimen. Read more at www.osperi.com